[TR] Electrical problem

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun May 31 11:05:28 MDT 2009

Bob,

To me, "driving" lights are auxiliary add-ons.  I think you must be talking
about "head" lights.

No, there should be no draw, certainly not enough to get the fuse hot, with
all the lights disconnected.  You must have a short somewhere.  As already
mentioned, the dash harness wires can easily get pinched as they run to many
places (and I believe in some cases aren't even used).  Also, I think the
front marker lights are on that circuit as well, so the short might be in
the wires to them or even inside the lamp.

One trick that might be helpful : a handheld magnetic compass should deflect
when it comes close to a wire carrying DC current, as the wire generates a
tiny magnetic field.  Also, if you let it sit with current flowing for
awhile, you may be able to feel the warm wire.  (But not long enough to
significantly overheat the fuse block and/or blow the fuse, of course.)

Randall