[TR] Pertronix Ignition and coils

Tomislav Marincic tomislav.marincic at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 29 07:19:40 MST 2009

Hello,

Recently I wrote a reply to this thread which stated that using a 12V Lucas Sport coil with a Pertronix Ignitor ignition trigger in a TR6 would cause the current through the Pertronix to exceed the maximum allowable value. This was mathematically correct, based on the information available from the manufacturer of the Pertronix at the time I wrote my post.

My message was based on information posted on Pertronix's web site, which stated that the maximum current permitted in a 6-cylinder car was 4.0 amps. I have subsequently talked to "Rob" at Pertronix tech support, who was surprised that this information was still on their web site. He states that 3.0 ohms of resistance is a permissible value for a coil used with the Ignitor, and that 4.0 Amps of current is no longer the recommended maximum current for 6-cylinder cars. He indicated that the web site would be corrected shortly.

Using a low-resistance "HEI" coil (typically 1.2 to 1.5 ohms) will fry your Pertronix. Leaving the ignition on for long periods with the engine not running will also damage it.  Using a Lucas Sport Coil will not.

I regret that I posted incorrect information.

Cheers, Tom