[TR] Windshield Installation Summary and Tonneau Cover Snap Question

Ben Zwissler bjzwissler at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 20:03:26 MST 2009

I got a lot of responses to my question about windshield installation
and sealing.  Thanks to all that responded.  The overwhelming number of
respondents said they didn't use any sealant for their windshield
installation and didn't have any trouble with leaks.  So that's the way
I'm going.  There was about an even split on those who said they had a
professional shop do it, and several comments that the shops in their
area wouldn't do it at all or wouldn't guarantee against breaking the
glass it if they didn't provide it.  I've done some searching and am
going to try it myself using the "string trick" to pull the seal over
the frame lip.  The glass is not perfect and if it breaks I'll buy new
and go the professional route.  (33 years ago at age 16 I did this
myself on my first TR4A and didn't break anything.  I remember nothing
about how I did it, but I'm smarter now, right?)

Another question.  As I prepare to install the windshield I need to
replace the tonneau cover snaps that attach to the windshield bolts on
top of the dash.  Its not clear to me where these fit in relation to the
bolt, the round washer or the shiny triangular piece covering the
flange.  My guess is they go under the round washer and above the
triangular piece.  Anyone got a dissenting opinion?

One other comment, a few weeks ago I asked about replacing the felt in
the door window jams.  I ended using velcro as recommended by Bob
Danielson and described on his web site.  Its worked very well so far.
Thanks, Bob.

Ben....

--
Ben Zwissler