[TR] Triumphs Digest, Vol 4, Issue 535

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun Dec 5 17:55:35 MST 2010

> Any thoughts on best position of grade 8 bolt?

On the forks I've used, there was a boss in the center, making it easier to
drill there and the final assembly stronger.  I can't see any advantage to
putting it to the side (although it would probably work just well).

My initial thought was to leave out the taper pin and only use the bolt; but
since I had to buy a new pin anyway (to hold the shaft & fork in the proper
relationship while drilling the new hole), I went ahead and installed it.

As I think Nelson mentioned, I selected a bolt with a shank that would go
almost all the way through, and drilled the hole slightly undersize so it
was a tight fit.  Afterwards, I cut off the exposed end of the bolt, so it
couldn't foul on the gearbox.

-- Randall