[TR] stator tube and control head TR3

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun Dec 12 12:17:10 MST 2010

> rebuilt a control head yesterday.
> the chrome turn lever does not want to stay in the turn
> position. instead it
> clicks back to the off position. any thoughts ?

There is a coil spring that goes inside the square brass piece that carries
the roller for the turn signal switch latch.  It's the larger spring shown
here:
http://tinyurl.com/2ed8esc
with the square brass piece and roller to the right of the spring.

My guess is that the spring is missing, weak or wrong; or perhaps the roller
is out of place.

Note in this photo
http://tinyurl.com/2d2at9q
(which shows the pushrods installed wrong), where the roller is just barely
visible above the big hole near the bottom.  When the lever is moved to the
turn position, the roller displaces one of the pushrods outwards, and drops
into the hole.  That is what holds the switch in the turn position, until
the cancelling ring forces the pushrod back in and the roller to move back
to center.

> also the little grub screws that go through the steering
> wheel are just to stop
> the control head from pulling out? they don't hold anything?

They have to lock the back plate to the steering wheel, so it turns with the
wheel and operates the cancelling mechanism.

> so in effect the stator tube is a torsion bar. for what
> minimal friction there
> is? yes?

Yes, but the friction isn't always so minimal.  The backplate is locked to
the wheel while the tube holds the control head from turning.  When the turn
signals are on, and the wheel is turned through the right position, the
backplate turns the cancelling ring so the ramp forces one of the folding
pushrods up against the roller & spring as I mentioned above.  There is a
moderate amount of both friction and spring force involved.

-- Randall