[TR] Gas smell

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Jul 6 14:02:05 MDT 2010

> I have a TR3A that has been restored. When I have the car in the
> garage there is a distinct gas odor and I cannot locate where it is
> coming from.
>
> Any suggestions?

After driving the car, then parking overnight, raise the bonnet and touch
your finger to the bottom of each carb jet, plus the bottom of the bolts
that hold the float bowls to the carb body.  If your finger comes away
smelling like gasoline, the associated seal is leaking even if not fast
enough to drip.

However, with both the fuel tank and both carbs vented to the atmosphere,
there may always be some trace of fuel smell after being kept in a closed
garage.  Better garage ventilation and/or adding a vapor recovery system to
the car may be the only solution.

One other thing, if you are putting the car away with a full tank of gas,
the factory tank vent can sometimes dump fuel on the floor in hot weather.
I blocked mine off after discovering that it was also dumping fuel in left
turns.

Randall