[TR] Question on installing a Delco 7127 style alternator on a TR4A

Alan Myers amfoto1 at aol.com
Sat Jul 10 17:37:45 MDT 2010

 I used the same method as Dave to mount a 7127 to TR4.

The original generator adjusting bracket worked fine, after being flattened a
bit.

As I recall, I added a couple washers under the engine-mounted end of that
bracket and the lower one, to get the pulleys to line up perfectly.

I also ended up notching a little out of the alternator housing to be able to
more fully adjust the belt tension. There was plenty of material in the
casting, so I'm sure it didn't weaken it. One downside to this is that it
might not be usable for a core, if the alternator ever needs replacing... and
in which case the replacement would need similar modifications. It might be
possible to instead have the modified alternator rebuilt locally, though.

A side note for anyone replacing the TRactor engine generator or doing an
alternator conversion... While you have the car apart, I'm pretty sure one or
more of the bolts that holds the lower mounting bracket to the engine pierces
all the way through to the engine's water jacket. If that the vibrated loose
and dropped out, the coolant would dump out and the engine will overheat very
quickly and badly. Check that those bolts are secure! Or you might even
consider drilling them and adding safety wire as a precaution.

Alan Myers
San Jose, California
amfoto1 at aol.com
'62 TR4 CT17602L