[TR] Balance Weights, Fan & Hub -- TR4

Geo Hahn ahwahneetr at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 11:08:12 MDT 2010

I'm replacing my fan and there were 2 weights previously in place to
balance the fan and hub/extension assembly.

I realize that the factory way to do this is to remove the
hub/extension and balance it as a unit with the fan -- I truly hope
this is not necessary for a non-race engine.

The weights were both mounted to one side of the unit -- i.e. 2
weights under one set of bolts, none under the other.  I can tell this
is original by the reference hole that had been drilled thru the
weights, fan and into the hub/extension.  That is quite a bit of
weight to ignore, so....

My question -- do you suppose that the weights were mainly there to
correct an inbalance in the hub/extension, or in the fan?

I can pretty well balance the fan by itself off the engine by rigging
up a little hub that allows it to free-wheel -- though the fan seems
really well balanced from the get-go.

If the weights were there mainly to balance the hub/extension I can
re-install them as before.

I guess you can tell I'm trying to simplify the task and not remove
the crank bolt and hub/extension when all I want to do is replace the
fan -- but if I have to I have to.

BTW -- I briefly considered a plastic fan but as the car is mostly
original and correct I decided against that.  I will be installing a
metal tropical fan (if that makes any difference) for better air flow
and because the relatively shorter aluminum blade seems less likely to
break.