[TR] TR6 Ignition Switch Questions

William Brewer wsb1960tr3a at att.net
Sat Oct 16 08:50:41 MDT 2010

     After re-installing the rack and pinion in the 1974 TR6 I was adjusting where the steering column lines up with the splines at the R&P. I had done this a couple of times, driven the car around the block and it looked ready to go. I made one last adjustment and when I went and turned the key - nothing. No ignition light. Nothing. I found the horn bush on the floor (from sliding the steering shaft back) and re-installed it. Still nothing.
     Is there something in the steering shaft that could have caused this? It seemed like I had a steering column lock before, but now it is intermittent. The steering wheel still appears to be flush against the column as before.
     I get under the dash in the drivers footwell (what a delightful position...) and put a test light on the switch terminals. I don't see well really close up so bare with me. With the key off I have power to the brown and red wire (6) and the brown wire (2). With the key on I get power to the white wire (3). I never get the wire and red wire (1) to come on.
     Did the switch fry? Why would the R&W wire not get power?
     TIA,

     Bill in Tehachapi