[TR] Triumph Bendix Radio

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun Oct 24 07:21:46 MDT 2010

> Does
> anyone know which way the switch should be set for positive
> ground, up or
> down? There is no indication on the radio which way to set it
> and I don't want
> to apply power till I know which way to set it.

One way to find out: Remove the covers and look for the main filter
capacitor (usually pretty obvious, the largest round can-shaped thing) which
should have polarity markings on it.  With no power connected to the radio,
turn it's switch "on" and use an ohmmeter to determine which terminal of the
capacitor is connected directly (0 ohms) to either the chassis or the power
input lead.  Double-check by flipping the polarity switch and testing again.

If the "-" terminal is connected directly to the power input lead, or "+"
directly to ground (the former is more likely); then the radio is configured
for positive ground.

Randall