[TR] Triumph Bendix Radio

Michael Marr mmarr at notwires.com
Thu Oct 28 07:57:09 MDT 2010

Although the BBC offered three of their services on FM (the Light Program,
the Home Service and the Third Program) in the late 50s and 60s, it was not
popular and most consumers listened on medium or long wavebands (AM here).
Thus, most radios fitted to English cars in the 60s were equipped with two
AM bands, MW and LW.  I don't think FM radios really became popular until
the early 70s.  As far as I know, nobody provides broadcast service on the
LW band (153 - 279 kHz) in the US, so it would not have made any sense to
ship British radios to the US.  Hence, local installation of radios.  Maybe
JonMac can confirm my theory.

Mike