[TR] Convention agenda

Michael Burdick salty1249y at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 17:04:08 MDT 2010

I think that's what the rules say, but:  I got 20-some points deducted at
Jekyll on the engine bay section of the judging form for what I can only
assume was because of road grime.  I say "can only assume" because
everything in there is original to the car, just showing 55,000 miles and 38
years of wear and tear.*  It seems to me that the focus in concours judging
has shifted from preservation of original cars, to recreation of original
cars.  A judge told me the standard that they were comparing the entrants to
was a car sitting on the dealer's floor back in the day - i.e. undriven and
clean as a whistle.  I guess the clean as a whistle part is doable with a
car that is regularly driven (just takes elbow grease), but worn original
parts, even hoses or trim parts (like a top), don't pass muster, so unused
NOS or reproduction parts are judged higher.  The irony to me was that they
didn't seem to give much weight to the accuracy of reproduction parts.  If a
part is inaccurate is all that is available now, it is ok to use.  At least
that's the gist of some of the discussion I heard during the judging.

I'm not griping, these are just my reflections after my first foray into
concours - up till now, I've been doing Participants' Choice (3 past VTRs).
 Not sure what I'll do at the next one I attend...

Mike Burdick
Durham, NC

* I readily admit that my engine bay was not detailed.