[TR] Convention agenda

Dave1massey at cs.com Dave1massey at cs.com
Fri Oct 29 05:53:12 MDT 2010

In a message dated 10/28/2010 6:05:49 PM Central Daylight Time,
salty1249y at gmail.com writes:
> I think that's what the rules say, but:  I got 20-some points deducted at
> Jekyll on the engine bay section of the judging form for what I can only
> assume was because of road grime.  I say "can only assume" because
> everything in there is original to the car, just showing 55,000 miles and
> 38
> years of wear and tear.*  It seems to me that the focus in concours
> judging
> has shifted from preservation of original cars, to recreation of original
> cars.  A judge told me the standard that they were comparing the entrants
> was a car sitting on the dealer's floor back in the day - i.e. undriven
> and
> clean as a whistle.  I guess the clean as a whistle part is doable with a
> car that is regularly driven (just takes elbow grease), but worn original
> parts, even hoses or trim parts (like a top), don't pass muster, so unused
> NOS or reproduction parts are judged higher.  The irony to me was that
> they
> didn't seem to give much weight to the accuracy of reproduction parts.  If
> part is inaccurate is all that is available now, it is ok to use.  At
> least
> that's the gist of some of the discussion I heard during the judging.
>
> I'm not griping, these are just my reflections after my first foray into
> concours - up till now, I've been doing Participants' Choice (3 past
> VTRs).
> Not sure what I'll do at the next one I attend...

In talking to Darrell, VTR is quite aware of this effect and there is talk
of promoting a "Survivor's" class for unrestored cars.  There are a few good
examples of unrestored cars out there and it is a shame to take one apart
for a restoration.  A local club member bought a very clean TR2 in original
condition only to do just that.

We introduced the new modified classes five years ago and with a little
massaging here and there it has gone pretty well.  For the first time this year
we had enough entries of a single model (TR3) to create a TR3 Modified
Touring class*.  Perhaps it is time to start pushing this forward.  What would
be the mission statement for this class?  How about something like: "A class
to recognize, promote and honor those cars that have survived with little or
no major reconstruction since originally manufactured.  Cleanliness and
maintenance not withstanding, no deducts will be taken for normal wear and tear
on original components but max deducts will be taken for replacements."

This opens the discussion to a whole list of issues.  What do you do about
OEM replacements?  What do you do about resprays in original color and
original materials (if available)?  What about tires?  40 year old tires have no
business on the road.  Original gas and oil (no don't get ridiculous)?

Open for discussion.

Dave