[TR] master cylinder rebuild

Brian Harlan brianharlan at scrtc.com
Fri Apr 8 17:20:28 MDT 2011

I rebuilt the brake master cylinder in my 68 Spitfire last Sunday
(without honing it) and had the same problem. Thought maybe I had done
something wrong in the process, so Tuesday I disassembled it and
re-assembled it, after bleeding the system (again) I had the same
problem. I had the same thoughts as you - needed honing, weak springs,
etc. The master cylinder on my car was an aftermarket replacement when I
bought it. I'm thinking that the kit I ordered from VB is for the OEM
cylinder, which may be somewhat different, so, rather than continue
fight with it and stress over it, I have ordered a whole new master
cylinder. I'm sticking with another aftermarket for now that I found at
British Spares through ebay. I won it at $87.55 plus S&H. "I know, I
know. It's not original." But compared to VB's $220.00, it will do for now.

Gary, please post your final resolution so we can all learn from this.

brian