[TR] TR3A Odd overdrive behaviour

Art McEwen amcewen2 at cogeco.ca
Mon Aug 1 16:04:35 MDT 2011

I think we were both right.

When I got home last night the battery was flat, boosted it and it fired
right up but the generator wasn't charging.   The small yellow/green
wire off the generator, which is far too close to the exhaust manifold
didn't feel right.   Re soldered it (added extra heat shield) and I'm
back in business.   Oddly enough so is the overdrive.   Careful
inspection of the wiring diagram shows the O/D switch is fed off the
ammeter, no ammeter, no O/D.

I assume there was just enough of a connection to allow for the switch
to operate until the exhaust manifold got up to temp and fried the
connector, let it cool down and the smoke would flow again.