[TR] [Bulk] Re: TR3A leather trim

Alex ambritts at bellsouth.net
Tue Aug 2 15:10:19 MDT 2011

HI Dave,
I am assuming that you are referring to the arm rests and the curve piece
that goes up the rear fender. The way I did mine was to create a wooden form
that was placed in a bench vise that the metal piece sat on while the
leather was carefully stretched on to it. The leather was soaked in water
over night in my tub. I used 3M spray adhesives and they came out great.
When the leather dries it is usually after the adhesives has, so it forms a
nice tight fit as it shrinks. The trick is the sharpest curve at the bottom.
This takes patience and a slow process of rolling it out with your fingers.
Any kind of mechanical roller like a wallpaper roller will only flatten out
the grain and it looks like crap. If you go to fast than you get wrinkles.
If you are interested in the form, I can try and dig a picture out. I
remember that I saw the form on this forum, so someone else has it also.

Alex Manzo
59 TR3A