[TR] wire wheels

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Aug 4 01:44:56 MDT 2011

Yes to all of those problems, and many more you haven't thought of.  They
look great, but IMO represent a significant step up in the amount of
periodic maintenance required, and the number of problems experienced.

Just a few examples:
Shortly after buying my 59 TR3A, I changed one of the rear tires.  Had a
terrible time getting the knockoff loose; discovered why after I rolled back
out of the driveway and tried to drive up the hill.  A loud ZZZZ showed that
the splines were ruined (which turned out to be true for all 4 wheels and
adapters).  Good thing I only had one off, since once the splines let go,
the brakes are no longer connected to the wheel.

In a fit of insanity, I bought all new chrome wires, adapters, knockoffs,
etc. for the Stag.  Less than a year later, I discovered that one of them
had several broken spokes.

When the replacement wheel arrived, all 4 wheels were removed, splines
cleaned and lubed, etc.  About 8 months after that, 1500 miles from home, I
had to replace a tire.  It took three of us working in shifts to get the
knockoff off!  No idea why, but the threads were seized incredibly tight.
No signs of corrosion, and they fit smoothly after cleaning.  Apparently the
wire wheel shop had used the wrong kind of grease on the knockoff threads,
and it had turned into Loctite.

Then there is Dad's TR3A, which has had a splined adapter come loose from
the hub twice in its life (that I know of).  First time, I dang near flipped
it.  Second time, the escaping wheel ripped the fender off.

And heaven help you if you neglect the annual greasing of the splines.  I
have seen shops have to literally cut them off with a torch.

-- Randall