[TR] TR4A - Engine LIves!!! Then not so much..

G.D. Huggins guy at genfiniti.com
Sat Aug 20 14:35:04 MDT 2011

All,

First, the good news.  I got my rebuilt engine all ready for its first
start-up, built up roughly 30 psi of oil pressure, made some initial
adjustments to the SU HS6 carbs, and it STARTED!!
I was so surprised by the quick success that I almost panicked!!

I let it idle very roughly around 500 rpm before I went to adjust the idle
screw on carb one, which killed it.
Needless to say, I am very happy for this, as it is a great start.
But then my great happy feelings became not so much..

Here's my issues/questions.  I am hoping the collective wisdom of the groups
can help:

1. To get the engine to start I had to set the carbs thusly: mixture nuts all
the way lean (jet even with the floor of the chamber), throttle idle screws
1/2 turn open and fast idle screws not touching the cam at all.  Even with
this super-lean configuration, the plugs for cylinders 1 and 2 were
carbon-covered indicating RICHNESS???  I just don't see how this is possible.
Can anyone shed some light on the unique circumstances that have to exist to
have this seemingly counterintuitive result?  Perhaps the spark is super
weak?

2. After running the engine at rough idle for about five minutes, I went to
try and restart it, but had no luck.  Eventually I pulled the plugs
(discovering the carbon on one and two) to build up oil pressure again and did
not get the 30 psi I got before running the engine; now the best I get is
roughly 12 psi.  This alarms me greatly, as my inexperienced suspicion says
that something changed in the engine while it was running, because I've got no
oil leaking anywhere, and a full sump.  Has anyone had this experience and can
share it with me?

3. Finally, the damned engine shakes like a disco king with Parkinson's
disease.  I've got the round-styled engine mounts.  Should I go to the square?
Or just tighten mine down more?  Would that shaking cause problems?  Is that
shaking a sign of a problem?

That is all.  Thanks to everyone for all their help through the life of the
project, as I could not have gotten this far without it.
>From the big picture stand-point, I am near the end of doing all I can at
home.  Once I get the engine running well, and the reupholstered seats back in
the car, I am taking it to an experience pro for the final setup, as there are
just some things I do not have the tools for, or for safety sake, just want
more experience hands.

That is of course unless I get really angry at it and set it on fire..

Cheers,

Guy D. Huggins
1965 Triumph TR4A
CTC 63569LO