[TR] Oil Filter Adapter - Pot. Problem?

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Aug 23 18:10:07 MDT 2011

> This is very confusing ... the adaptor is Bolted to the engine ... how
> could
> it possibly spin???

Assuming the design is the same as I have on my TR3 & TR3A, the spin-on
adapter is held to the original filter head by only a center stud and nut.
The spin-on filter screws onto the same stud which has different threads on
each end to match both the filter head and the spin-on filter.  Thus if the
threads in the filter bind just a little bit, the stud can unscrew from the
filter head when removing the filter.

Regular Loctite does not stick to oily surfaces, and weakens over time when
exposed to heat & oil.  So my suggestion if you are having problems is to
clean the threads thoroughly with solvent (spray carb cleaner or similar)
and then use medium strength oil-resistant Loctite on the stud where it
threads into the filter head.  Sorry I don't recall the part number offhand,
but it's available from MMC.

However, I was able to get enough torque on the nut that locks the adapter
in place to keep the stud & adapter from turning; without the use of
Loctite.  Don't go overboard though, as the stud is rather weak (due to its
hollow design) and can be broken with enough torque.

-- Randall