[TR] Alternator, Charging and Ammeter

Roger Elliott elliottr at rmi.net
Wed Aug 24 20:53:48 MDT 2011

Hi Everyone,

We have been having alternator problems, well actually it turns out to be charging problems.  We are on our third alternator in a month, and decided (and determined) it has to be something besides the alternator.

The ignition light comes on and goes off when we rev up the engine.  But, the only way the alternator charges the battery is by hooking a wire directly from the alternator to the battery.    The ammeter does not show anything (charge or discharge) even before we added the wire, so I thought the ammeter might be an open circuit, but after reading Dan Master's book, I have the understanding that nothing would work if the alternator is shot.

We do have a battery cut-off switch that I have wondered if it is hooked up correctly, on the other hand it has been on the car for 10 years without causing a problem.

Any suggestions on what to check on why the battery is not getting charged, even though the alternator is capable of doing it?

Thanks for the help.

Roger