[TR] gearbox

Gary Nafziger nafzigerg at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 12 12:33:36 MST 2011

I'm dealing with the tr-3 gearbox from hell.  It's not the early non-synchro
gearbox but not sure how much later of a gearbox it is.  Might be a tr-4.  Most
of the problems I've had so far are just neophite beginner non mechanic
mistakes.  (buttoning it all up only to find three little balls and springs
laying on the workbench....grrrrrr)

Anyway at present I'm having a huge problem getting the middle big bearing (the
one at the end of the gear box, not the one on the end of the tailshaft) beat
onto the shaft far enough to get the washer and circlip on.  I'm within 1/16 of
an inch but can go no farther.  I've stood the gearbox up on end with a block
under the mainshaft on bell housing end then tried to drive the bearing down the
shaft to no avail.  I'm afraid I'm gonna break something.  Getting the bearing
into the gearbox case is not the problem......its getting the bearing down the
shaft.  I took everything out and on the bench vice was able to get the bearing
down the shaft to the appropriate place.............If anyone has been there
done that..........advice would be appreciated.

One big piece of advice to anyone contemplating gearbox work.  If it works DON'T
touch it.LOL  This gearbox was fin untill I started working on it,  as i found
everything pretty much measured to specs.  I did change the counter shaft thrust
washers but prolly didn't need to.

thanks!

gary n.