[TR] radiator contamination

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon Jul 18 10:41:10 MDT 2011

> The problem was that when I was able to remove the radiator
> cap, I
> found several pieces of what appeared to be blue form-a-gasket material
> at the filler neck.

Most likely nothing to worry about, as long as it continues to run cool.
But it wouldn't hurt to backflush the radiator, in case any pieces got
caught in a tube.

The problem is the blue form-a-gasket (aka silicone RTV).  If you aren't
very careful how you use it, it can squeeze out of the joint inside the
passages and form a bead of material that can later break off into long
strings.  This is exactly the reason I don't use the stuff unless I have
access to remove the strings.

On my "LBC support vehicle", a professional mechanic used RTV when replacing
the water pump.  The resulting strings clogged the heater until it wouldn't
produce any heat.  Had to have it power-flushed several times, and it still
doesn't work as well as it should.

-- Randall