[TR] Valves

Dixie4 dixie4.wales at virgin.net
Tue Jul 19 05:17:51 MDT 2011

Valves capable of unleaded fuel are a must these days.

What many people do not realise is that only the exhaust valves need
changing. So if the original inlet valves are OK and not worn they can be
reused or replaced with standard valves not expensive stainless steel ones.

One tip I learned many years ago to improve gas flow was to reduce the
contact sealing area of each valve, even to the point of creating a radius
on the valve rather than a flat seal between valve and cylinder head.

While you are at it I would open out the cylinder head to reduce the valve
seats to about 1/16th of an inch.

The valves from Rimmer are stainless steel and are perfectly OK.

I paid #6.00 + VAT GBP for mine from TR Bitz. (I guess this is about
$9.00/10.00 USD) each and as an export item you would not be required to pay
UK VAT @ 20% extra. TR Bitz are an excellent company for new and used items.
NFI of course.

Adrian TR4A CT64306 O
Wales UK.