[TR] TR3 clutch slave adjustment questions

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Fri Jul 29 08:30:59 MDT 2011

It's important to have some freeplay at the clutch slave, and the freeplay
goes down over time (as the friction plate wears).  There are also other
factors that affect pedal height.  So IMO it's better to check and adjust
the freeplay directly, then worry about pedal position if necessary.  (Also
re-check slave freeplay as part of the annual chassis service.)

Checking the freeplay against the rather stiff spring can be difficult, so
the factory later recommended loosening the locknut, and then screwing the
rod out of the clevis until all the freeplay was gone.  Turn the nut (if
necessary) until the specified 0.100" can be measured between the face of
the nut and the clevis, then turn the rod (which should carry the nut along
with it) until the nut just touches the clevis.  This should produce 0.100"
of freeplay (and plenty of margin for wear).

But the adjustment itself is not very critical, as long as there is _some_
freeplay and you re-adjust before all of the freeplay is gone.  So I prefer
to just pull on the clutch lever and eyeball how far I can move it by hand.
If you can pull it out by 1/16" or so, it's OK IMO.

-- Randall