[TR] TR4A - Gauge Lamp Oddities

G.D. Huggins guy at genfiniti.com
Fri Jun 10 09:38:10 MDT 2011

All,

First, a quick update that I have successfully completed the installation of the Advance Auto Wire system into the car!
It was not difficult, so much as time consuming, and the quality looks great.
Now that its installed, I am testing and troubleshooting and have come across an issue with the gauge lamps.

Like with the original wiring harness, this kit supplies power to the lamps through the dimmer control switch on the dash.
A red wire from the fuse box supplies power, which is then transferred into the red/white chain of lamps as you turn the switch.

My issue is that I turn the switch and the lamps don't light.  Odd.  So I measure the voltage on the red/white chain and I have 12 volts!
So, the power is there, but no light.  I suspect they are not grounding, but I'm not sure how to ground.
From all appearances, the physical tension of the socket in the gauge's hole should cause them to ground on the gauge body.  Right?

Another oddity.. if I insert the high beam indicator lamp into its hole on the speedo's body, the headlamps come on when I turn the interior lamps on!
This makes it sound as if the voltage is successfully going to the speedo gauge lamp, through the speedo body, and into the HB indicator lamp, eventually making its way to the headlamp relay.
Once again, this seems like a ground issue.

Any suggestions before I start making up my own solutions??