[TR] Originality issues

Loumetelko at aol.com Loumetelko at aol.com
Sat Jun 25 15:16:17 MDT 2011

In a message dated 6/25/2011 10:12:46 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
TR250Driver at aol.com writes:

I  specifically sought a TR2 Long Door since they were rarely seen at  TRA
Nationals.
I was proud to display a  example of this  rare  Triumph restored as
original for other Triumph enthusiasts to  see.  It  gets a lot of
attention.

Which brings me to a point that may need to be made.  Original   Triumphs
drive fine IMHO w/o any modifications.  No need for fat  tires,  electronic
ignition, pleated interiors, electric fans,   etc. They are  remarkably
simple
machines that if maintained   properly have withstood the test of time and
can
keep up with modern   cars on our super highways while giving a great
driving experience on  country  roads.  OK, TR3's don't like operating in
stop and
go  city traffic on a hot  day.  Unless you have fitted the optional
tropical
fan.

When I first saw that TR2 Long Door in the corner of a storage shed in
Bowling Green, Kentucky I knew it was destined for the show field at a TRA
National.  Like Darrell's cars it is driven and enjoyed all season to the  tune
of about 4,000 miles yet it competes in TRA's tough Concours. What  needs
to be stressed is that the 2s, 3s and 4s were state of the art in the 50s
and 60s so what's the sense in adding "mods" when all you are doing is
decreasing its value.  My incessant flag waving states to rebuild the  original
component!

I live near the Auburn, Cord, Duesenberg Museum and as such it is common to
 see examples of those classics in a driveway or parked downtown.  I
shudder  to thing what would be done to an owner of those cars who started
slapping  "mods" on them!

I eagerly await 2012's TRA National in Little Switzerland, North Carolina
when my co-pilot and I will drive nonstop to the meet in the most dependable
car  I have ever owned!

Lou Metelko
Auburn, Indiana
54 TR2LD  TS981L