[TR] Camshaft selections - TRactor Engines

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Jun 28 01:19:47 MDT 2011

> Well, randall, if you think these are true counterweighted
> cranks, you may wish to take a look at a Chevy crank.

Well, I'm always willing to be edumacated.  You mean something like this?
http://tinyurl.com/4yuvfpn
(A GM Quad 4 crank on eBay)

It's got more main bearings (of course), but I see the same number of
counterweights.  The funky shape no doubt reduces weight a bit, but only a
bit.  The point of counterweights is to balance the crankshaft, and the
original cranks are reasonably close to balanced from the factory.  From
what I've seen, usually the counterweights can be lightened a bit to bring
them closer.

> The normal old Loctite,

Well, you're right, I wouldn't use "normal old Loctite" (whatever that
means, Loctite had dozens of formulas even before they started coming in
colors).  Kind of like using baling wire instead of safety wire and then
saying you shouldn't use safety wire because the baling wire will break.

> Most folks use the old mechanical locks easily and
> successfully.

I guess I'm not most folks then.  Even Kas Kastner & uncle jack said to lose
the mechanical lock tabs.  And after I picked a piece of one out of the
(locked up) oil pump, I definitely agree with them.

Sheesh yourself.

-- Randall