[TR] Transmission re-build/service

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun Nov 13 18:43:54 MST 2011

> about the only 'problem'
> I seem to have
> is downshifting from 4th to 3rd while at speed,

Could be a worn synchro, but it's unusual (in my limited experience) for the
4th gear synchro to wear out first.  I would also check the force required
to move the shift ring on the hub (which is how much force gets applied to
the synchro ring during shifting), and for wear in the cone on the input
shaft (where the friction surface of the synchro ring rides).

> I was
> just wondering if
> this would not be a good time to check for worn parts and
> replace as needed.

You might want to read through some of the articles on the subject, and
decide if this is something you want to tackle.  It's certainly do-able, but
I would rate it "4 wrenches" on a scale of 1 to 4.  You'll need to buy some
special tools, and make several more.  There's a good series of articles on
the Buckeye Triumphs site, and another on the VTR site.

BTW, if anyone is interested, I was in the local OSH yesterday and they had
Sta-Lube brand GL4 gear oil on the shelf in both quarts and gallons, 85W90
and 140 weight.  Looked kind of dusty though, so I don't know if they will
get more once those sell.

-- Randall