[TR] rollbar question

Tim Gaines mtgaines at mail.presby.edu
Mon Nov 14 17:33:51 MST 2011

I've been thinking of buying two roll bars, one for my
son's Miata (in NC) and one for my TR6 (in SC).  I looked
at the Boss Frog site and saw some nice looking bars, but
the installation called only for bolting to the floor and
not to the frame.  I always thought a frame mount was
necessary for real safety, but the site claims that they
meet SCCA specs.  I don't plan to do any racing, but my
son does like to go to a Miata meet each year and drive
the Tail of the Dragon in the mountains of NC.  It worries
me that he has no roll bar, so I want to get him one that
really offers some protection.  What can you tell me?  Any
recommendations for a manufacturer and/or an installer in
NC or SC.

Sorry if this has been discussed recently.  I haven't been
able to stay up with all my list mail for awhile.

Thanks,
Tim
1974 TR6
1980 Spitfire