[TR] TR 2/3 fan/alternator belts.

G.D. Huggins guy at genfiniti.com
Wed Nov 16 12:01:01 MST 2011

Angelo,

I've been wrestling with this one myself for a while.
I converted to an AC Delco 7127, with a large pulley so I would not have to
change the crank or water pump pulley to a more narrow dimension.

The thing to bear in mind is that a belt IS NOT supposed to bottom out in the
pulleys.  Only the sides of the belt should make contact.
If the belt does bottom out in a pulley, it will make a god-awful whining
sound that gets louder as RPMs go up.

I am using a Gates TR28390.  It was a tight fit going on (had to loosen the
mounting bolt to the point where I could cheat the alternator toward the belt
to get it to slip over the pulley), but seems to be doing well.

Best of luck!!

On Nov 16, 2011, at 11:26 AM, Angelo Graham wrote:

> Hello List:
> Have an alternator conversion on my TR2 and have struggled with the fan belt
since installing the alternator. I have used a Gates TR24379 which is a 3/4"
belt, 38 3/8" long. Impossible tight fit and a bear to try to get on or off.
The next Gates belt in this series (Truck/bus Green Stripe) is 40 5/8" and is
too long. Searching the Gates site and found a series of 7/8" belts that would
seem to do the job at 39 1/8" - which is listed by Gates as the "stock" belt
for the TR2/3/4 series - TR28386 (Green Stripe).
> Can we use a 7/8" belt on our pulleys? Always thought that the belts were
supposed to be 3/4" - not worry about it and use it if it fits??

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/guy@genfiniti.com