[TR] Red Line Oil

Andrew S. Mace zoboherald at aol.com
Fri Oct 28 12:53:31 MDT 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: TeriAnn J. Wakeman <tjwakeman at gmail.com>

On 10/28/11 8:03 AM, Andrew S. Mace wrote:

> Call me stubborn or old-fashioned or whatever, but:
>
> a: Triumph called for an EP rated gear oil for their differentials.
> b: On their own web site, Red Line says: "MTL, MT-85 and MT-90 are not for
use
> in differentials with hypoid gears."

That's why Redline has a couple pages of gear oils available:

http://www.redlineoil.com/Products.aspx?pcid=4

http://www.redlineoil.com/Products.aspx?pcid=8

It appears you were looking on the page for gearbox oils

http://www.redlineoil.com/Products.aspx?pcid=7

and not differential oils.

Teriann, with MT-90 in the gearbox and 75W90 gear oil in the diff.

==AM==

Thanks for the remedial reading lesson, but I was aware of the different
products and different pages. :)

As to the response sent to Ray:

"Thank you for contacting Red Line Oil, in your TR4 differential where an SAE
90
GL-4 gear oil is called for the MT-90 is recommended.
Regards, DaveRed Line Oil"

Again, this seems contrary to their own statements on the web site AND to the
fact that Triumph considered the gears in
their differentials to require an extreme pressure lubricant. Sorry, I gotta
go with Triumph here; apparently you did as well, Teriann!

:)
--Andy Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er, Triumph
Herald engine with wings.

Triumph 10 / Herald / Sports 6 vehicle consultant, The Vintage Triumph
Register: http://www.vtr.org

Check out the North American Triumph Sports 6 (Vitesse 6) and Triumph Herald
Database: http://triumph-herald.us