[TR] TR3 Castor Angle?

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Sat Mar 31 15:31:33 MDT 2012

It is true that the TR3 has zero caster "as original".  However it is NOT
true that you should have to turn the wheel back to center.  I've owned
several of them now, and they all self-centered after a turn just fine
(although they do have more of a tendency to follow ruts in the road than
other cars).

The sole exception was a TR3A that proved to have one of the suspension
mounts ripped loose from the frame.  The alignment guy did not spot the
problem, even after I took the car back complaining it didn't steer right.

I would start by asking him to measure the camber and caster angles, plus
the steering axis inclination (aka king pin inclination).  Many shops will
not measure these, on the premise that they are "not adjustable", unless you
specifically ask them to.  In fact, the shop the wife took her Toyota to
last time didn't want to measure them even though the Toy _is_ adjustable;
and they even charged extra for doing the rest of the alignment.  (Borders
on bait and switch IMO, but we'll just never go back there.)

If any of the angles are wrong, it indicates some sort of damage which can
be repaired.  IOW they are adjustable, it just isn't as easy as turning a
screw.

-- Randall

PS, "Castor" is a kind of bean.