[TR] Update: A type overdrive solenoid problem? On to Galveston for VTR.

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon Oct 8 14:30:30 MDT 2012

---- Dave1massey at cs.com wrote:
> I'll be darned.  I guess the contacts burned up.

FWIW I had that problem several times, until I added a diode snubber.  My theory is that the original relay had oversize and/or precious metal contacts, to deal with the arcing caused by kickback from the solenoid; but the replacements I tried did not.  At any rate, I had two reproduction relays and a Bosch general purpose relay all quit working reliably within less than a year of daily driving.  After adding the diode, even the "cheap chinese" general purpose relay is still working fine many years later.

http://tinyurl.com/2dcppeo

--- Randall