[TR] Rear hub studs

Bill Babbitt wbabbitt at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 15 17:36:05 MDT 2013

I had the very same situation with my TR3a.
The studs are threaded in from the outside. If you look closely, the portion
of the stud that extends thru the hub plate is peened (actually looks smeared)
over. You'll need to very carefully grind that back with your Dremmel, keeping
the grit out of your bearings. Then you can screw two nuts on back-to-back and
unscrew the stud out the outboard side.

When I put the new studs in, I found that there was no way I could peen the
end over. Ultimately, I put down a series of light tack welds where I would
have liked to peen the  bolt over; taking great care to keep the heat down in
the process. Didn't want to soften the bolts. Ground smooth for a final
finish.

No issues since.

Bill Babbitt

Sent from my iPhone