[TR] Blue smoke under uphill load with TR6

Allan Reich areich at telus.net
Tue Jul 23 19:13:46 MDT 2013

Randall:
All the real Crankcase gear is gone (prev owner, not me, I'm innocent !!).
I have a hose from the Valve cover to a "jam jar can" mounted where the
old 3 tube system is on other TR6's.
Then there is a thinner hose going from the "jam jar" to the vacuum
junction on the intake manifold that also junctions to the break
booster. The science in this is the where the thinner vacuum hose is fit
the manifold, on the pipe the hose fits over, there is a plastic plug
cap, with a small hole drilled in it to limit the vacuum. the rubber
hose fits over this plug/cap, so you don't know it is there.
Now, everything has worked like a charm for the two years I have been
driving it, up until this last weekend.
But it is suspect, because it was the first place I checked, and the
Valve cover hose was very close to the 1/4" of oil accumulated in the
jam jar. I pulled it up so there was at least 2" above the oil. I
thought I had fixed it and was very surprised when I had the issue
yesterday. Now the smoke was much less, but the hill was short. It's too
bad the test hill is over 100 miles away.
I am planning to drive it to the Bellevue ABFM this weekend; I don't
believe I will have any problems. Any listers planning to go, can visit
me at the show .. it is a distinctive French Blue, with badge bar
(including the LIST badge) and has a white TR6 racing stripe (sometimes
incorrectly referred to as a TR250 stripe),
Allan Reich
TR6 - CF30255U (+O)