[TR] Car trouble in Hannibal, Mo

WBEECH wbeech at flash.net
Sun Oct 20 21:51:06 MDT 2013

Roger, good to hear you made it home.   From that. Description I would point
to the fuel filter, then points and condenser.
Bill

Sent from my iPhone

> On Oct 20, 2013, at 8:00 PM, Roger Elliott <elliottr at rmi.net> wrote:
>
> Hi Everyone,
> Thanks for the suggestions.  We ended up renting a truck and trailer to get
the car home.

> A few more details that I did not include in the first email as I was using
a tablet and it was not working well.

> Car has a Pertronix on it (couple of years old).  Would it fail this way or
just quit?

> Alternator seems to be good.  Ammeter is indicating charging when I would
expect it it and a drain basically only when starting.

> I am pretty sure the pump we used did not have diesel and I know I pressed
the 91 octane button, so I don't think that is the problem.

> The last couple of times it died on a test drive this morning, I pulled over
to the side, and the car started back up immediately and could drive another
mile.  So, it was off for less than a minute. My thinking is that would not be
long enough for the coil to cool down.  But this makes it very hard to check
spark or gas problems because by the time I could open the hood, it would be
willing to run again. Seems to idle fine.

> The car doesn't sputter.  It just seems to run out of steam and dies.  I
have to keep pressing the pedal more and the car keeps slowing down until it
dies.

> I checked the other diaphragm this morning.   It was fine.
>
> The car does run rich, but it has for a long time and it does not seem to
richer now than in the past based on fuel consumption.

> I guess I am leaning towards the fuel pump, the coil, one of the hoses I did
not replace, or the floats getting stuck.

> Thaks everyone.
> Roger
>
>> On 10/20/2013 12:10 PM, Dave wrote:
>> if you have electronic ignition, and the alternator is going bad, those are
pretty much the symptoms.  ask me how I know . . .

>> -----Original Message----- From: Roger Elliott
>> Sent: Sunday, October 20, 2013 7:38 AM
>> To: triumphs at autox.team.net
>> Subject: [TR] Car trouble in Hannibal, Mo
>>
>> Hi,
>> We have been driving my wife's TR 250 through Ohio for the last week.  It
has been running great until we stopped for gas.

>> It started out fine, but as we were pulling on the highway, it didn't have
any power and then died.

>> I found a vacuum hose that had come out I put it back in and it ran fine
while we drove a short distance to a restaraunt.  But then, we we got onto the
highway, we drove about 3 miles and it ran out of power and dies again.

>> Hoses were still in place.  I replaced the fuel filter, checked 1
diaphragm. It was okay. I thought if only 1 was bad, it probably would not
die. The fuel filter was full of gas and seemed to let the gas through.