[TR] TR3 Clutch not releasing

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Wed Oct 30 13:26:53 MDT 2013

FWIW, I've had a freshly-installed clutch stick after just a few weeks of sitting.  Probably had something to do with the heat I
used to get the (alloy) flywheel off of the previous engine.  I used a method somewhere between Bill's gentle rocking and Geo's
"shock and awe" : Just held the clutch down and started driving the car that way.  I wasn't even to the end of the driveway before
it came loose and I've never had a problem with it since.

For sure, check the fluid first if you haven't already.  Also try pumping it up.  If 3 or 4 pumps will get it to release, either the
hydraulics need to be bled or you've got a broken taper pin.

Also check the adjustment at the slave.  Might even be worth trying to remove all of the freeplay, just to see what happens.  If the
adjustment doesn't have enough range to remove all the freeplay, that's another indication of a broken pin (or something else wrong
inside the bellhousing).

Then I'd try the above "stuck" solution.  Even though it doesn't sound likely to be the right solution (a stuck clutch feels just
like one that is working, since you are lifting the pressure plate away from the friction plate), it might work and is a whole lot
easier than pulling the gearbox out.  Which would be the next step.

Randall