[TR] Bad Gas?

John Macartney john.macartney at ukpips.org.uk
Tue Feb 11 06:17:37 MST 2014

I agree with all the other suggestions this far - and would add one more.
It's worth checking the carb diaphragms to see if they're cracked or showing
signs of break-up. Back in the 70's, my GT6 Mk 2 (GT6+) seemed to eat them
almost monthly!!
Try and force the engine to start and run by putting a finger into each
venturi and slightly lift each piston as someone turns starter switch - and
keep cranking until it runs. Can't now remember if the 250 had a button on
the solenoid - but if it has, it'll save you getting "her indoors" to come
out and assist. Some die-lectric fluid on the plug lead ends ought to give
the plugs themselves a good jolt as well.
If it helps (and it probably won't) take comfort from the fact they were
just as difficult to start sometimes after spending a wet few months in the
open in the depths of the freezing British 68/69 winter. Old habits die hard
when you learned 'em young :)

Jonmac