[TR] Size issue with current Spitfire cam bearings?

aribert neumann aribertn at gmail.com
Thu Feb 27 05:35:35 MST 2014

Greetings all.  My 73 TR6 engine was line bored for early Spit cam bearings
(60K miles ago).  All was well until I wiped a lobe on a cam, and bought
new cam bearings to go with my new cam.  The new cam bearings appear to be
too large.  The OD of the new bearings appears to be about 0.002 to 0.003
larger in diameter.  Since the running clearance between the cam and
bearing is only 0.003 (max) I am unable to install the cam once the
bearings are in place.  I had a couple of left over cam bearings (bought
back in '96 when this block was line bored and those fit well - cam journal
sides right thru them.

So has anyone bought and installed Spit cam bearings in the last 1/4 year?
Issues?  If not, where did you buy them from?  I have bought 2 sets, one
from TRF and one from SpitBits - they appear to be from the same mfg.  My
fear is there is currently only one mfg.