[TR] Steering rack

Jim Henningsen trguy75 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 7 13:21:07 MST 2014

Thanks.  I I heard from one of our experts, Dave at TRF, and he stated at the
early 4s have a rack without a steel flange.  The later 4a-6 have the flange
for mounting.  So it looks like someone put a 4a rack in the car sometime in
the past.  The good news is that I have a early straight 4 rack on my parts
car.  Time to put the gloves on and get out the wd40 anD wrenches.
Cheers,
Jim Henningsen

Sent from my iPad

On Jan 7, 2014, at 2:34 PM, Allen Hess <allenhess at mgcarclub.com> wrote:

> The Moss catalog shows the aluminum "hard" mount for TR4 up to CT20063 and
the rubber mount TR4 and 4A from CT20064. They also list two different rack
assemblies (not available) for the same numbers as the mounts. There is
apparently a replacement rack for the later one only. George Hahn's photo is
the later rack and mount.

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc499/Ahwahnee18/TR4/Rack-DS_zps7309f23d.
jpg

> Note the driver's side photo the flange on the pinion body is flat on the
bottom and the later rack sits on horizontal mounts on the frame whereas the
early rack is bolted to vertical mounts on the frame. The aluminum flange in
your photo appears to be round, not flat on the bottom so I might wonder if it
is neither the early or late rack. You also mentioned that the tie rod ends
are screwed all the way on to the tie rods--that's not right. Should be maybe
an inch of threads showing on each side.