[TR] mounting trunk lid & spare tire cover gaskets.s

tom white tswhitez123 at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 23 06:05:37 MDT 2014

In the past I have mounted the trunk ld gasket and spare tire cove gasket for
my TR3A with adhesive.  Eighteen years ago I used contact cement and the
mounting was tedious and difficult.

This time around I attempted to use 3M Super Strength trim adhesive. After
three attempts yielding only partiel bonding results I decided to try a
special plastic bonding agent I had bought for a difficult plastic bonding
project.

The product I used is Tech Bond.  I found that I could put a few drops in the
channel for the gasket and then push the gasket firmly down into the channel
and get strong adhesion within second.

I repaired the loose areas of the trunk lid gasket this way.  Then for the
spare tire cove gasket I began by cutting it to size and bonding the ends
togethewr with two drops of Tech Bond.  Then I placed the gasket into the
channel the way it should fit and held it in place with strips of painters
tape every foot or so.  Then I would pull a section of the gasket out of the
channel and place a few drops of Tech Bond on the gasket mounting surface.
Then I would use a tongue depressor to push the gasket into the channel until
it was firmly seated.  I would hold the gasket in place for a few seconds and
then repeat the process on another section.

I had the spare tire cover gasket mounted in less than 30 minutes with no need
for masking, or spraying adhesive, and no clean up.  One word opf caution is
do not get Teck Bond on your fingers and then touch the gasket or you will be
glued to the gasket.

The URL for Tech Bond is below:

http://shop.tech-bond.net/Tech-Bond-Starter-Kits-for-your-repair-7001.htm

Get the stater kit with the SI Blue adhesive.  Also be careful about using the
spray Activator as it will cause instantaneous bonding.
I have no financial interest in the product.

Best regards,
Tom