[TR] TR3 Lip Type Crank Seal

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon Jun 23 07:21:41 MDT 2014

> Moss charges about $200 for a
> lip type rear
> seal conversion kit. I see something similar on Ebay for $99.
> Has anyone tried
> one of these? Is it the same?

My suggestion would be to stay far, far away from the conversion that requires the scroll to be ground off.  Numerous people have
reported that the result leaked worse than the original (which can be made to work quite well if you use the updated mandrel
dimensions instead of those shown in the manuals).  One of our local club members had to have the crank replaced after a mistake was
discovered in the instructions.  (The instructions I got had been changed by hand twice!)

If you want a lip type seal, the 'Viton' conversion offered (only) by TRF and ARE is much better, IMO.  It doesn't require the
scroll to be ground off, and actually keeps the scroll seal functional; adding the lip seal as a secondary seal.  The only suggested
crank mod is to polish the area between the scroll and flange.  Note that the kit includes a mandrel made to the corrected
dimensions.  (I've heard reports that the one sold by Moss is wrong.)

http://tinyurl.com/pfmoqw2

Honestly, though, a quart every 20 miles seems extreme.  Are you certain it is the rear main seal and not one of the plugs on the
block and/or head?  Is the oil level correct?

Randall