[TR] Shift rod detent plugs

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon Jun 30 17:43:32 MDT 2014

> It seems to me that there's no real difference in what I use.  Both
> parts are ultimately held in when the cover is assembled to the
> gearbox.

My only concern would be the plug moving after installing the cover, like perhaps it wasn't installed deep enough (so installing the cover crushed it deeper, increasing the detent force).  Easy enough to avoid.

>  Or is there some reason that the pressed in plug is
> better even if you aren't a manufacturer trying to save time and
> money?

I prefer the threaded plugs, just because they make it a lot easier to adjust the detent force if necessary.  Otherwise, I don't see a functional difference.

Good find on the plugs, BTW.

Don't forget there are seals on the shift rods, which may need to be replaced.  The seals I got from one of the "big 3" were just standard O-rings, which did not fit snugly in the bores in the top cover.  So I added teflon "backing rings" to fill up the gap.

Randall