[TR] Does a TR-4 differential and axle fit a TR3A?

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Jan 3 17:18:45 MST 2017

> Rear brakes show differential oil leaking into the drum.  Expect that

> means dropping the differential/axle to take to the machine shop to break

> apart, then install the new seal and put back the hub and so on.

Not necessary.  The seal that holds the oil back is in the axle housing, you
can access it by just undoing the 6 bolts that hold the bearing retainer and
sliding the axle out complete with hub.  Have a bolt handy to support the
brake backing plate (so no need to disconnect the brake lines).

http://s258.photobucket.com/user/TR3driver/media/TS13571L/DSCF0010-1.jpg.htm

(I was waiting for parts to come in, so I put a bit of plastic over the
opening to keep the housing clean and replaced the hard line while I was
waiting.)

Don't lose the shims, they are important.  Not a bad idea to recheck the
clearances once you've got both sides back together, but should be OK just
putting them back where you got them.  You should probably replace the
locktabs, but I used Loctite instead.

> If no,

> might pick up a used differential/axle to rebuild, so what are the

> would a TR4 fit?  (One is available on Craigslist locally.)

It will bolt up (assuming you have the TR4 shafts, brake lines and handbrake
cables with it), but doesn't really fit very well.  The TR4 is about 4"
wider, so the tires are probably going to rub the fenders even with skinny
tires.

-- Randall