[TR] Any recommendations on a good tap and die set

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Jan 24 19:06:55 MST 2017

> If you will be using a tool frequently, then the higher cost of a
> pro-grade tool is worth the investment. If they will only get
> occasional use, then almost anything will do.

I once bought a set from HF, only because I was in a hurry and they were
open on a Sunday afternoon.  It was absolute junk, not acceptable in my
opinion for even a single use.  The resulting threads would not mate with
standard fasteners, and one of the dies broke the first time I tried to use
it.

I buy a lot of junk from HF, usually it's worth what I paid for it.  That
tap & die set was not; the whole thing went in the trash.

My Dad used to say there is a certain price you pay for good hay.  Of course
it's somewhat cheaper after it's been through the horse!

-- Randall