[TR] TR3 rpm and speed

Dave MacKay dave at mdmackay.ca
Fri Jan 27 15:50:47 MST 2017

Frank Fisher <yellowtr3 at yahoo.com> wrote:

>have been unable to drive my car for a couple months now.when i bought my
TR3 i did the restoration and put a toyota 5 speed in.so i have no
experience to go on. not untill i can drive my TR3 again.

>took a friends TR3 for a ride last night.we hit 75mph, but the rev's where
at 4500 to 5000 depending on coast or maintain speed. 4th gear, no
overdrive.is this about what the rest of you TR3 owners experience?

Hello Frank:

I put together the attached spreadsheet that calculates speed at any given
rpm for each gear for both the standard and HVDA gearboxes. I used some
inputs from my car (e.g., 3.7 rear axle ratio and my 165R15 tires). You can
alter the spreadsheet if your car is set up differently. I know that the
spreadsheet won’t make it through to the list, but if anyone wants it, just
send me an e-mail.

For a TR3A with a stock gearbox, 3.7 rear end, and 165R15 tires, 4500 rpm
in 4th gear would yield 91.4 mph. 5000 rpm would yield 101.5 mph. At 75 mph
the engine should have been turning over at just under 3700 rpm.

Regards,

Dave MacKay

TR3A s/n 68639L

Near Toronto, Canada