[TR] Alternative gearboxes for Triumphs

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Jan 31 12:17:51 MST 2017

> If I had the money  I would be interested as an experiment in trying this
> conversion for a Stag. I've been told the be housing is about the same.

That's true, but the Stag input shaft is quite a bit longer than the
TR6/Toyota shaft; probably because the Stag uses an extra housing between
the standard TR6 bellhousing and the rear plate on the Stag V8.  Since the
clutch and pilot bearing are in about the same relationship to the rear
plate, the input shaft has to cover the extra 3" or so through the flywheel
housing.

I asked Herman van den Akker about a Stag conversion some time ago, but he
didn't have an answer.

> Are TR6 gearboxes with OD hard to come by for $3k ?

Not at all. There was even a Stag box on eBay not too long ago, for less
than $3K.  But they are perceived by many as being both unreliable and short
lived; plus of course the infamous TR6 clutch problems.  By contrast, the
Toy box is a "once and forever" solution (again by perception if not actual
reality).

I've been trying to remember how many miles I've got on the TR6 box in my
TR3.  Can't be much over 130,000; and it definitely needs new synchro rings
in 2nd & 3rd gear.  So there may be something to be said for the "short
lived" aspect :)

Randall