[TR] Water pumps.

John Macartney john.macartney at ukpips.org.uk
Thu May 11 06:35:51 MDT 2017

Geoff Scarborough wrote:
"There is a happy medium, and I'm sure that back in the day, real engineers
spent a lot of time with different vanes and pulley sizes until they found a
combination that works."

Possibly. But what is more likely - and this was endemic in the British
Motor Industry in days of yore - is that Engineering Departments spent much
time developing products for mass production, only to later find that
Purchase Departments often changed specifications to source components that
were cheaper. This certainly happened at Standard-Triumph with the Stag.
Purchasing did not accept specifications from Engineering on:

1. The grade of alloy to be supplied for cylinder heads and selected a lower
cost alternative that warped the heads.
2. Specified a smaller water pump, and
3. Completely departed from the spec for the size and cooling capacity of
the radiator.

Those three decisions utterly killed that car for the North American market
stone dead and by the time the issues were sorted for the Mk II Stag, the
car's reliability reputation was  guaranteed bad. That's why we now have so
many surviving Stags in the UK because we couldn't give them away in the US
and all of them by now have been modified to Mk II spec - or better, and are
proving to be ultra-dependable in the hands of many. Wish I could afford one
myself.

Jonmac

---