[TR] Oil pump re-assembly 4 cyl. TR motor

Jerry Van Vlack jerryvv at roadrunner.com
Fri Nov 30 09:18:05 MST 2018

Alan, I’m not sure I understand what you are doing to your oil pump, however I suggest you remove all of the scores you’ll find on that cap. A flat surface is best ( I use a piece of glass ) and some emery cloth with lots of oil. Work the scored surface back and forth with even pressure adding oil as needed until you’ve worked all of the scores out of the surface. You can start with coarse emery and finer once the deep scores are removed. Check all the clearances and if replacing the internals be certain the gear is pinned to the shaft as there have been failures of replacement pumps. Frankly try to reuse your original pump internals. It doesn't seem possible that oil pressure can be lost via those scores in the bottom plate but from experience loss does occur there.

I’m not familiar with a replacement gauze “filter” screen but think it may not be a good idea, the screen does a fine job and the oil filter does the rest.

JVV