[TR] Quaker State

Fisher, Ed edwd at ti.com
Mon Sep 24 05:49:51 MDT 2018

Just as an updated piece of information on Quaker State motor oils to offer; I have a 1985 Toyota Supra with`186,000 miles.  The original owner was a fireman, the second owner a very good friend of mine, and I am the third owner.  My friend Richard inquired as to what oil the first owner used when he  bought the car and the fireman stated, "Quaker State since new".  Richard continued using Quaker State and so did I.  At around 165,000 miles I took off the cam covers so that I could re-do the wrinkle finish in crinkle black.  They had become a little tired looking and Fred Thomas had graciously given me his time and shared his expertise so I learned how to do them in powder coating.  Inside the cam boxes there was absolute absence of any wear, even scratches or rub marks of any kind on the cam lobes, and that was pretty darned amazing to me.  True, Japanese steel has shown me over and over again that the metallurgists and design engineers really are masters in their crafts as I've owned several Toyota and Honda cars.  That said, the surfaces in this engine showed no sign at all of sludge or even a dirty kind of discoloration on non-mating surfaces.  I was used to the varnish-kind-of-look that Castrol gives on non-mating surfaces.  This engine looked like Wesson oil in a clean pan on your stove.  I almost licked it to see if it was real! (almost).

Just a data point to anyone who may be using today's formulations of Quaker State and might question that decision.  Oh, and being 61 years old and from NE Ohio I remember well the warnings of staying away from Quaker State as a youth.  Given the testimonies on this list it would seem that was sound advice.

Ed Fisher
Dallas, Tx